Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Petunia Summer

Growing up I was a very strange child. Not that I'm not a bit off now, but when I was growing up I was seriously "different". I remember specifically waking up in the morning as a kid, probably in 1st or 2nd grade, getting dressed in a cheetah Halloween costume, a pair of tap shoes, and bright red lipstick and walking down to the kitchen to get breakfast like it aint no thang. Not only that but I was extreeeeemely dramatic. I used to write story after story about family members that didn't exist, family turmoil that never happened, chauffers and butlers that I never had, and the list goes on and on.

Ask any of my siblings and they could probably spout off a dozen or so tales of me wearing my red lipstick and fishnet stockings to Elementary school, writing poetry about my parent's divorce (my parents are not divorced, never were divorced, and as far as I know were never close to divorce) in 2nd grade, my imaginary friend Sanda who died in several different tragic accidents, or sobbing about the death of my grandpa in 5th grade when mind you he died when I was 3, therefore I had no real memory of him or his death at all. I really was a weird little kid.


The great thing about all of this, is that my mother always encouraged me to write out all the crazy little thoughts in my head. My first journal ever dates back to 1994 when I was only 5 years old, and the daily writings continued all the way through high school. It is so fascinating to look back at the innerworkings of a 7-year-old nut job and see just how kooky I really was. Because I find them to be so hilarious I feel that its necessary to share with the blog world some samplings from my journals. About once a week I'll be sharing an entry from volumes 1-11 of my journals and hopefully a photo to boot! Since this post is so annoyingly long I will leave today with the names I picked out for my future children on May 8, 2000.

Names for Girls:

1. Petunia Summer
2. Dominique Arella
3. Althea Cali
4. Odelia Alexandra
5. Kamilah Noble

If you're wondering how I came up with such beautiful names, they are all courtesy of the baby name book I checked out of the library as a 10-year-old. Who does that?

1 comment:

  1. Okay this is hilarious! You are so funny.. it will be so great to see what your baby boy comes up with to make you laugh. I should go find my journals from childhood... I wish someone could have videotaped those days!

    --Shelby

    ReplyDelete